Monthly Archives: January 2019
Just across from the Carl J. McEwen Historical Village on Matthews-Mint Hill Road sits another historically important building from Mint Hill’s past – – the former King Craft Hosiery Mill, now known as The Lofts at 7714.
According to a 1945 article in the Charlotte News, the newly constructed building was set to house 45 gauge machines and employ 40 local residents to process its textiles. Operation was set to begin September 1 of that same year.
King Craft continued to operate through 1962, at which point the building was sold to the Healy family, whose descendants still own it today. After an extended period of manufacturing and warehouse use, the property began its latest reincarnation in 2010 as distinctive commercial spaces for local small businesses.
Today, The Lofts at 7714 is the home to these eight small businesses, the majority of which are owned by local Mint Hill residents:
- Bull Moose Guns specializes in vintage military firearms and paraphernalia.
- Spotlight Performing Arts Academy offers voice, theater and musical instrument classes, as well as puts on plays and musicals for the local community.
- Pottery 51 is a cooperative of local clay artists who exhibit their work on-site and offer pottery classes.
- Mint Hill Yoga offers Yoga for Every Body.
- Rick Rorie Design and Photography provides architectural drafting and photography services.
- McLeod Associates Architect provides design services for churches and other planned buildings.
- Vintage on the Hill’s showroom features refurbished furniture and other unique home goods.
- Summit Environmental provides locating and surveying services.
Throughout its 74-year history, this 18,810 square foot building has been a mainstay in the local economy, providing opportunities for local entrepreneurs and jobs for local residents. That tradition continues today at The Lofts at 7714.
For more information about the history of this former mill property, visit https://theloftsat7714.com/the-mills-history/.