Pottery 51, a cooperative of local clay artists and long-time tenant of The Lofts at 7714, will continue to call this retrofitted mill property its home through December, 2017. JMMT Partnership, the owner of The Lofts at 7714, and Pottery 51 recently agreed to extend the non-profit’s lease from December 31, 2015 to December 31, 2017.
“We are thrilled that Pottery 51 will continue to grace our vintage building with its presence for several more years. Its members are incredible stewards of this historic relic,” said Mary Crotty, JMMT Managing Partner.
Pottery 51 is the longest running tenant in the building, their tenure dating back to when it was a part of Mint Hill Arts. They were originally located in Suite I at the back of the building, but in 2012 they moved to the street-front Suite C for more space and visibility. They are active participants in Mint Hill’s Art Around the Block and incredible artists. If you haven’t seen their beautiful clay works in person, visit their gallery at 7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road, Suite C. It’s open when their flag is waving.
The former King Craft Hosiery Mill, built in 1945 and now housing The Lofts at 7714, celebrates its 70th birthday this year. Unlike many historic buildings in and around Charlotte, this relic of Mint Hill’s past has very fortunately been spared the wrecking ball and is now enjoying a new life as home to local professionals, entrepreneurs, and artists.
Right at the end of World War II in September, 1945, the King Craft Hosiery Mill’s machines whirred into action, inspired by the successful mills in north Charlotte, Belmont, and Kannapolis. The mill employed the citizens of Mint Hill for almost twenty years. When it closed its doors, Laminated Top Company took over the building for the next thirty years.
Five years ago, the building was reinvented as The Lofts at 7714 with ten spaces retrofitted into commercial spaces ranging from 250 to 3,600 square feet. Today, The Lofts at 7714 is home to Art by Glenwood, Asylum Digital, Click.Pack.Move!, Employment Practices Counsel, Mint Hill Martial Arts, Mint Hill Yoga, Pottery 51, and Spotlight Performing Arts Academy.
Calling all Mint Hill and Matthews middle school and high school budding actors to audition for Spotlight Performing Arts Academy’s production of “High School Musical.” Live in Charlotte but want to give it a go? Come on out! Spotlight Performing Arts Academy is just a short drive from Charlotte at 7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road (Highway 51) in downtown Mint Hill.
Auditions will be held today, January 15, and tomorrow, January 16, at 6 pm. Rehearsals for the production will be on Tuesdays (5-7 pm), Thursdays (5-7 pm), and some Saturdays (10am-12pm) throughout the winter and into spring. Show times are scheduled for Friday, April 24th (7 pm) and Saturday, April 25 (2 pm and 7 pm).
Spotlight Performing Arts Academy is also registering students for winter music lessons. They offer instruction in a variety of string, percussion, and brass instruments, as well as voice. For more information visit http://www.spotlightacademyonline.com or call 704-545-7373.
JMMT Partnership, the owner of The Lofts at 7714, wishes all of our commercial tenants and their customers a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2015.
Like much of Mint Hill, exciting developments are underway this year at The Lofts at 7714, including our connection to the county sewer line. After 70 years on a septic system, this former hosiery mill property will be connected to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utility Department (CMUD) line late in the first quarter of 2015. This project, which began in February, 2014, will extend the existing CMUD line from its current location on the far side of our neighbor, the Woof’n Hoof, to our property. This investment by JMMT will provide more plumbing versatility for our current and future tenants.
Happy New Year!
Looking for something different to do this weekend? Searching for the perfect holiday gift for a loved one? Stop by The Lofts at 7714 this weekend and discover both.
Spotlight Performing Arts Academy will perform “Fame Jr” on Friday, December 5 at 7 p.m. and on Saturday, December 6 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Advance tickets are available at the academy (7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road – Suite B) for just $5. Tickets at the door at show time are $7.
Mint Hill’s Art around the Block wraps up the year this Friday with the theme “Handmade in Mint Hill.” The Lofts at 7714 tenants’ Pottery 51 (Suite C) and Art by Glenwood (Suite G) will participate with unique, locally created artwork and pottery.
Looking for something different to do this Friday evening? Come enjoy Art Around the Block, Mint Hill’s own gallery crawl. This month’s Art Around the Block features The Black and White Theatre Company of Spotlight Performing Arts Academy.
When: Friday, November 7th from 6:30 to 9:30 pm
Where: Spotlight Performing Arts Academy at The Lofts at 7714 (7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road, Mint Hill)
Other downtown Mint Hill businesses participating in Art Around the Block include Irene’s Café, Mint Hill Arts, Homestyles, and Picket & Plume.
Calling all Mint Hill Middle and High Schoolers: Spotlight Performing Arts Holding Auditions for Fame, Jr.
Spotlight Performing Arts Academy, Mint Hill’s premier performing arts school, will produce the musical Fame, Jr. as part of its fall Theatre Production Class. Interested middle and high schoolers should plan to attend one of the upcoming audition sessions. Everyone will receive a part, but audition performance will determine the role assigned.
Fame, Jr. Audition Information
- Auditions will take place on a first come first serve basis today, September 11 from 5 to 7 pm and Saturday, September 13 from 10 am to 12 pm.
- Those auditioning should be prepared to sing 16 bars of a song and do a cold reading.
- The audition application is available for download on Spotlight’s website or copies will be available at the studio on the day of auditions.
As a production class, the performers and behind the scenes workers will meet three times a week for 8 to 10 weeks, culminating in the live performances on December 5th and 6th.
For more information about this class or Spotlight Performing Arts individual or group music lessons, visit http://www.SpotlightAcademyOnline.com.
Mint Hill residents can enjoy the second month of Art Around the Block this Friday, September 5th. From 6:30 to 9:30 pm, local art enthusiasts can browse the studios of local arts groups.
In addition to Mint Hill Arts, Picket and Plume, and Irene Café, Art Around the Block includes The Lofts at 7714 tenants Pottery 51 and Spotlight Performing Arts Academy.
Pottery 51 plans to showcase pottery from several local potters and Spotlight Performing Arts will host an open Mic event.
The Lofts at 7714 is located at 7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road. Parking is available in front of the retrofitted mill building as well as in the back lot.
For the most part, kids head back to school next Monday, so why shouldn’t you? Looking to find a new hobby or skill, meet new friends, and enrich your life? Autumn is a great time to do it and the tenants of The Lofts at 7714 have something for just about every adult this fall.
- Try a Tai Chi class or other martial arts form with Mint Hill Martial Arts, located in Suite A.
- Take a pottery class with one of the local artists of Pottery 51, located in Suite C. Or if you are planning some home redecorating this fall, visit their gallery to find the perfect accent piece.
- Learn how to truly relax and build strength in one of Mint Hill Yoga’s classes. They have something for every body from a beginners’ series to Viniyoga (breath centric yoga), Fusion, curvy yoga and senior yoga in their Suite F studio.
- Or fulfill a lifelong dream and finally take up that musical instrument you’ve always wanted to play with a private lesson at Spotlight Performing Arts Academy of Suite B. They offer 30 or 60 minute weekly private lessons for voice, guitar, piano, bass, percussion, acting, and band and orchestra instruments.
The Lofts at 7714 is Mint Hill’s only retrofitted mill property featuring ten unique commercial spaces.
Spotlight Performing Arts Academy recently announced its fall class schedule of acting, singing and other performing arts classes for fall 2014.
- Spotlight Kid’s Choir (Ages 7-10): This class, which will meet weekly from September 8 through November 3, will teach students vocal techniques and give them the opportunity to perform Broadway and Disney songs. An end-of-season performance is scheduled for November 7th.
- Spotlighter’s Show Choir (Ages 10+): This singing and dancing class will meet weekly for ten weeks with an end-of-season performance on November 7th.
- The Actor’s Class (Ages 9-14): This stage and on camera acting class will meet weekly from September 9 through October 28.
- Production Class: This class takes students through an entire musical production from audition to end performance. It will meet twice weekly for between eight to ten weeks.
- My Time to Shine (Ages 4-7): This class introduces younger students to music and drama on a weekly basis.
To register for or learn more about any of these performing arts classes in Mint Hill, or to find out about Spotlight Performing Arts Academy’s individual offerings, visit http://www.spotlightacademyonline.com.
Spotlight Performing Arts Academy is located within The Lofts at 7714 at 7714 Matthews-Mint Hill Road in downtown Mint Hill.